The Q at Parkside

(for those for whom the Parkside Q is their hometrain)

News and Nonsense from the Brooklyn neighborhood of Lefferts and environs, or more specifically a neighborhood once known as Melrose Park. Sometimes called Lefferts Gardens. Or Prospect-Lefferts Gardens. Or PLG. Or North Flatbush. Or Caledonia (west of Ocean). Or West Pigtown. Across From Park Slope. Under Crown Heights. Near Drummer's Grove. The Side of the Park With the McDonalds. Jackie Robinson Town. Home of Lefferts Manor. West Wingate. Near Kings County Hospital. Or if you're coming from the airport in taxi, maybe just Flatbush is best.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Finally...

I've been complaining and calling 311 and mouthing off about the ridiculous makeshift dump behind 225 Parkside for months. According to the rules, you can call in a general complaint to Dept of Sanitation if the refuse is visible from the street. In this case, you have to look into the alley from 700 Flatbush. But today I saw this sight:

I can't say for certain it was my bellyachin' that made the clean-up happen, but I'm feeling much more satisfied that one's complaints do get noticed...eventually. A few tickets and I'm sure most landlords will cough up the dough to hire someone to clean up a stinky, rodent-loving mess like that.

Which begs the question...am I just a busy body douchebag to care? I mean seriously, what kind of Erkel Two Shoes have I become that I get all high and mighty about other people's garbage? Day was I would have made fun of my current self.

Ah screw it. Like the sweet potato said to Popeye "I yam what I yam." Next up, other people's car horns...

5 comments:

Kim said...

Thank you, i'm so glad you did that. i don't know why i didn't think to call, being that i have to pass it twice a day, everyday. It's so disgusting and I hope they got a huge fine. I will call too in the future if I see it getting bad again.

Tracy Meade said...

I've been calling 311 and filing online dirty sidewalk complaints about 225 Parkside for months. Both for the nasty back of the building on Flatbush where it intersects WInthrop and for the front, when they let the litter pile up on the sidewalk. This is such a big building; when they decide to let the trash pile up, it impacts a lot of sidewalk life. So glad to see this post today!

Anonymous said...

It's not being a dork or busybody to attack these garbage issues. Improperly contained garbage is not a harmless offense. It attracts rats and rabid raccoons, and loose paper and plastic flies in the wind all over and makes our neighborhood look nasty. Thanks for all the effort!

Anonymous said...

I was very happy to walk by the other day to see the alley cleaned. I called 311 on this building several times myself. I'm really happy to hear that others have taken the time to voice their concerns as well.

I call 311 all the time to have tags/graffitti removed from store fronts buildings. The city will remove it at no cost to the business owner so be sure to take advantage of their services.

Anonymous said...

WOW! I moved into a Studio on Westbury Court in September and my only window faces this mess! Imagine my surprise this morning when I opened my curtains and I saw everything had been cleaned up! For some reason, I never thought to call anyone to complain but I'm so glad you did! Thank you.