The only thing that WE seem to be lacking right now is bread. Check this out from the Pioneer this eve:
The following is for the most curious cats only. Turns out that most of the breads other than Wonder that show up in our local groceries come from a single conglomerate called...Bimbo. Yes, Bimbo. Or Grupo Bimbo (pronounced Beembo). They do in fact have local bakeries here in NYC, so it's not like your baked products are coming all the way from Bimbo's headquarters in Mexico. But I only just now found out how ubiquitous is the brand. Here's what they own, according to Wikipedia:
- Arnold/Oroweat – Producer of loaf bread primarily sold throughout the United States.
- Bimbo – Producing cakes and bread. Bimbo breads and cakes are found in major United States cities with large Mexican and Mexican-American populations.
- Boboli – Producer of ready-made pizza crusts.
- Brownberry - Producer of loaf bread primarily sold throughout the United States.
- EarthGrains - Producer of loaf bread primarily sold throughout the United States.
- Entenmann's – Pastry baker in the United States.
- Francisco - Producer of bread and rolls
- Freihofer's - Producer of bread and cakes most commonly found in upstate New York.
- Marinela – Producer of Mexican cookies.
- Mrs. Baird's – A leading bakery primarily present in Texas and surrounding states.
- Sara Lee
- Stroehmann's – With Oroweat above, a producer of loaf bread in the United States.
- Thomas' – Producer of English muffins and bagels.
- Tía Rosa – Producer of home-style bread, pastry, and tortillas.