The Q at Parkside

(for those for whom the Parkside Q is their hometrain)

News and Nonsense from the Brooklyn neighborhood of Lefferts and environs, or more specifically a neighborhood once known as Melrose Park. Sometimes called Lefferts Gardens. Or Prospect-Lefferts Gardens. Or PLG. Or North Flatbush. Or Caledonia (west of Ocean). Or West Pigtown. Across From Park Slope. Under Crown Heights. Near Drummer's Grove. The Side of the Park With the McDonalds. Jackie Robinson Town. Home of Lefferts Manor. West Wingate. Near Kings County Hospital. Or if you're coming from the airport in taxi, maybe just Flatbush is best.

Monday, May 19, 2014

Not a Bad Taco, Paco



You know that punch-you-in-the-gut Chinese-run Tex-Mex place on Flatbush just down from Clarkson on the east side? Chances are good that one hungry night you decided to give it a try, and after just a few bites swore never to dip south of the border riding that culinary caballo again. (You probably finished your food though, in a fit of catch-22). Well, it recently shut and re-opened with new owners who just happen to also own the cute taco cart on Church Avenue next to that upscale grocer at East 17th, not far from the Q/B stop, called El Dorado. I've had decent tacos there a time or two, and so I was looking forward to trying this new hole-in-the-wall. And you know what? It was pretty good. These El Doradans have the advantage of being actually FROM Mexico. It's not going to win any awards, but if you want a decent taco at a good price, you're going to walk away satisfied.

While there I glanced across the street to note this enticing looking shop's grand opening:

Imagine my utter disappointment when I read the relatively fine print below the giant name. I was thinking record store, you know, maybe a place for DJ's to mingle and talk shop. Then I looked at my calendar and remembered it wasn't 1983. More to the point, what mom & pop shop sells footwears AND housewares? I'll tell you who - TRAX. Weird combo, like selling mattresses and potato chips. Love that sign though.

Then at 766 yet another owner-owned Pharmacy is ready to open. These days, the Q and family go to Lincoln Pharmacy at 723 and frankly I've never been happier, having been deprogrammed from the cult of Duane Reade. Do I miss the long waits and impersonal service? Hell no. But I gotta say I think we may have a few too many of these independent drug stores along the 'Bush for this new entry to have a chance. But I do get why there are so many. If you build a solid clientele, it can be quite lucrative, especially as your customers age and embark on heavy-duty til-you-die drug regimens. Ever wonder why there's a Duane Reade or Walgreens or CVS everywhere you look? Bingo. We Americans eat prescriptions like popcorn.


Speaking of popcorn, gonna make me some and call it a night.

No comments: