The Q at Parkside

(for those for whom the Parkside Q is their hometrain)

News and Nonsense from the Brooklyn neighborhood of Lefferts and environs, or more specifically a neighborhood once known as Melrose Park. Sometimes called Lefferts Gardens. Or Prospect-Lefferts Gardens. Or PLG. Or North Flatbush. Or Caledonia (west of Ocean). Or West Pigtown. Across From Park Slope. Under Crown Heights. Near Drummer's Grove. The Side of the Park With the McDonalds. Jackie Robinson Town. Home of Lefferts Manor. West Wingate. Near Kings County Hospital. Or if you're coming from the airport in taxi, maybe just Flatbush is best.

Friday, May 16, 2014

The Tipping of the Hat

More News From the North...

The text from this marketing piece makes me wanna retch. But hey, an apartment building is better than an empty lot, which is what this parcel was not so long ago.



That's right folks! They'll be tipping their hat to you old-timers and those who've recently, um, left. "And a good day to you, Madame! Nice day for a stroll along the Parkway. May I say that your frock looks fetching? May I show you a picture of my counter-tops? Yes, yes, imported. Well, I best be off or I'll be late for bridge. "Brooklyn Bridge" of course! Ta-ta!"



9 comments:

diak said...

EPW = Extremely Pretentious Writing.

babs said...

That space was not a vacant lot for so very long. In 2007 or so there were several two-story commercial buildings on that corner, containing shops, and, I believe, a bank (a Capital One is coming to the ground floor here). They were torn down, and then the real estate market crashed and the lot did indeed sit vacant for several years. Pretentiousness or not, I do think that this building could have been much, much worse, and it is a better use of the space than the two-story buildings that were there before, which provided no housing. I think it fits in well with the other buildings on Eastern Parkway and I believe it is to those architectural neighbors, not actual people, that the building "tips its hat."

Clarkson FlatBed said...

Yes, of course Babs. However, it's a pretty tone-deaf comment just the same.

babs said...

Why is it tone deaf? Isn't it polite for a gentleman to tip his hat to someone he passes? Are good manners now pretentious? How unfortunate!

Clarkson FlatBed said...

If you're the sort of man who wears a hat at all, THAT is pretentious (except when it's cold). However, in the case of Snob, it's endearing. Were he to tip his hat, I think it would warrant a Youtube video, a la cute kittens. Otherwise the hat is an affectation, much like the bowtie. Wiggling the bowtie is also an affectation. Cane's are fine, if used for steadying.

Alex said...

Let's hope that the residents of 123 on the park offer curtsies to fellow park goers, that the hallways of their residence are wide enough to accommodate two hoop skirts side by side.

babs said...

Actually, a curtsey is done only before a superior, not between equals, so that shouldn't be happening in this case. But wow, Q, why so sartorially judgmental? I like hats (on men and women), as well as bow ties and canes, and I also like good manners, which it seems you're equating with these other items you consider anachronisms.

Clarkson FlatBed said...

I love manners. However, the manners I'd like to champion involve the eating of food on subways and buses. I would happily trade table manners for a hog trough if I could be promised a life without Chinese food on the B41.

babs said...

I'm with you on that. However, I'd also like to recommend that clipping one's fingernails on the subway become a felony. I can't believe how often I've seen that. Where do people even get the idea that this is a thing to do?