The Q at Parkside

(for those for whom the Parkside Q is their hometrain)

News and Nonsense from the Brooklyn neighborhood of Lefferts and environs, or more specifically a neighborhood once known as Melrose Park. Sometimes called Lefferts Gardens. Or Prospect-Lefferts Gardens. Or PLG. Or North Flatbush. Or Caledonia (west of Ocean). Or West Pigtown. Across From Park Slope. Under Crown Heights. Near Drummer's Grove. The Side of the Park With the McDonalds. Jackie Robinson Town. Home of Lefferts Manor. West Wingate. Near Kings County Hospital. Or if you're coming from the airport in taxi, maybe just Flatbush is best.

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Swings Votes Prevail!!

A few weeks ago about 20 of us tried a new tactic - the Pig-Pile 311. The Safety Task Force tried calling and emailing a complaint to the Parks Dept as our first issue. We chose the big-kid swings at the Parkside Playground, which had dwindled from 6 to 1. And guess what? We got nearly instant action from the Parks Department as they claimed to be fabricating the seats.

Just this morning I snapped these shots below. Folks, we really can make the neighborhood more livable if we work together. I credit Kimberlee A. for making the PP her issue, and she's still planning to coordinate a Friends of the PP group. Email me if you're interested and I'll forward to her.

As an aside, emails from the Q and others to Councilman Eugene's office produced ZERO results when it came to safety, equipment and trash at the playground. The Playground continues to be something he takes credit for, since he shepherded the money through the budget process to make it happen (he did not, however, initiate the action as he sometimes claims). I doubt he has so much as driven by the playground since. Here's to a day when our elected representative cares enough to follow-through after HER day in the sun.



5 comments:

Alex said...

Love the group 311 action. Is there a document of things in the neighborhood we could all call 311 about? I'm thinking all of the trash in the nabe, conditions of the sidewalks and roads around here (resurfaced Bedford Ave in Midwood seems luxurious by comparison).

I called last week about a loose grate on Bedford btw Clarkson & Lenox that's super noisy, and wakes me up when cars hit it. I got a notification that they have instructed the utility company to fix it, but I haven't seen any action yet.

Anonymous said...

I think there is a chance that Saundra is going to win and Eugene will become your physician .......

Karkade said...

Thanks Q for the update and indeed great news!

This shows that collective action can pay off, and the more we are in getting our voice out the better.

I saw many happy kids playing by the newly replaced swings area when I passed by the playground during the weekend.

I have to say that when there was only one big-kid swing left that worked quite well as an incentive for kids to take turns (and for parents to educate them!). Happy to see that section of the playground in full swing again!

Anon. said...

Thanks Q, Kimberlee A, and the Safety Task Force! This is great news. I myself have called 311 on a number of issues concerning the Parkside Playground environment in hopes of bettering it for the children and families who use it and want to use it more, without much of a response. I agree that Eugene's office is a joke. I live on Winthrop and despite numerous calls to his office he has done nothing to deal with the trash, the missing swings, or lack of oversight over playground rule violations (e.g. drinking, smoking, bringing large dogs to the playground, etc.) --despite continuing to take credit for its existence every chance he gets.

Anon. said...

Thanks Q, Kimberlee A, and the Safety Task Force! This is great news. I myself have called 311 on a number of issues concerning the Parkside Playground environment in hopes of bettering it for the children and families who use it and want to use it more, without much of a response. I agree that Eugene's office is a joke. I live on Winthrop and despite numerous calls to his office he has done nothing to deal with the trash, the missing swings, or lack of oversight over playground rule violations (e.g. drinking, smoking, bringing large dogs to the playground, etc.) --despite continuing to take credit for its existence every chance he gets.