The Q at Parkside

(for those for whom the Parkside Q is their hometrain)

News and Nonsense from the Brooklyn neighborhood of Lefferts and environs, or more specifically a neighborhood once known as Melrose Park. Sometimes called Lefferts Gardens. Or Prospect-Lefferts Gardens. Or PLG. Or North Flatbush. Or Caledonia (west of Ocean). Or West Pigtown. Across From Park Slope. Under Crown Heights. Near Drummer's Grove. The Side of the Park With the McDonalds. Jackie Robinson Town. Home of Lefferts Manor. West Wingate. Near Kings County Hospital. Or if you're coming from the airport in taxi, maybe just Flatbush is best.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Stree Tree Stewards Beware - New Threat

Tree enthusiasts already know about the ferocious emerald ash borer, a bug reeking havoc across the continent. It looks like this when it's young:
 and this when it's all grown up:

I'll be honest and say I don't know an ash from my ass (they're very "tree-looking" trees I'm told), but supposedly these bugs have killed tens of millions of trees already across North America and have now been spotted in NY, prompting an Ash Borer Awareness Week.




Here's a vid showing how to identify the Emerald Ash Borer:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Q, thanks for being a valuable source of information on all sorts of unexpected topics! I hadn't heard about this threat, but as a tree-lover, now that I'm aware, I'll be sure to watch my ash.

Anonymous said...

My first thought is, "Great, more falling tree limbs." With the way the city neglects to inspect and prune trees and the way a lot of homeowners who happen to have a big tree in their backyard neglect everything in their backyard entirely, this bug is going to experience an endless smorgasbord when it arrives in Brooklyn.