The Q at Parkside

(for those for whom the Parkside Q is their hometrain)

News and Nonsense from the Brooklyn neighborhood of Lefferts and environs, or more specifically a neighborhood once known as Melrose Park. Sometimes called Lefferts Gardens. Or Prospect-Lefferts Gardens. Or PLG. Or North Flatbush. Or Caledonia (west of Ocean). Or West Pigtown. Across From Park Slope. Under Crown Heights. Near Drummer's Grove. The Side of the Park With the McDonalds. Jackie Robinson Town. Home of Lefferts Manor. West Wingate. Near Kings County Hospital. Or if you're coming from the airport in taxi, maybe just Flatbush is best.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Very Caledonian New Year - the Don Reade

One thing you can count on after a few days away from the Northeastern Flatbush...change will come, and you'll step out on the Flabenue and hardly recognize the place. Well, that might be stretching things a bit. Still, some new flava never did a body harm. I submit for your consideration the following:
If you hadn't guessed already, that's the new floor of the Duane Reade (part of the Walgreens empire now), or as my oldest adorably refers to it, the Don Reade. Striking new lighting and color schemes create an entirely new pharmaceutical experience:
Savvy shoppers will note the relatively gargantuan size of the wheelchair ramp to the square footage of the overall floor plan. It certainly makes good sense to have a wheelchair ramp in a pharmacy, and I'm glad to see DR finally complying with the Americans With Disabilities Act. By the by, had you noticed how that pharmacies now trumpet their willingness to shoot you in the arm with the latest and trendiest vaccines? Shingles, Pneumonia, flu...

Yesterday evening, New Year's Eve to boot, about 7:45 PM, I decided to take the plunge. After noting the severity of the flu this year (seems everyone's getting it), I asked the pharmacist about the influenza vaccine and she said for $30 and proof that I was over 18 (flirty!) I could get it right there and then. I filled out a short form to the effect that I wasn't already sick or dying, and they carved out a little niche where I could safely disrobe. (Actually, it was just my sweater that needed disrobing, but I liked that they gave me some privacy. Unlike a doctor's office, there was a good deal of conspicuousity to the proceedings. Also, with guns of steel and a young Schwarznegger-esque physique, I might have distracted a few late 2012 shoppers from their sundry purchases. It's a burden I share with Marky Mark...he and I have been known to share our sob stories over a good sauna and massage.

And there you have it...I'm inoculated. It's that easy folks. Now that you've read this, should you get a weeklong bedridding, you have no one to blame but yourself. No need for a doctor's appointment or a trip to the Department of Health. If you got a Jackson and a Sawbuck you're in business. And if you don't, get a free one at the DoH. I could continue this post, or start a new one. I think I'll choose the latter, so I can get off the New Year in prolific fashion. Happy, happy y'all!




No comments: